FNCE 2020 Conference Presentations

This year, five of our NICE Lab members presented abstracts at FNCE. Read more to learn more about their presentations and experiences with their research!

Shante Jeune

Shante’s abstract examined children’s self-regulation by assessing the relationship between buffet meal consumption and averaged 24-hour dietary recalls.

“The abstract process is always fun and exciting for me. But, this year, I had the opportunity to step out of my comfort zone and collaborate with other researchers on an emerging nutrition topic: self-regulation. I am delighted to share what I’ve learned about self-regulation with all of the other FNCE attendees!”-Shante

Nikki Vitale

Nikki’s abstract assessed the effects of a nutrition education program on knowledge, intake, and preferences of young Montessori students.

“As a mater’s student, I had the opportunity to conduct a research study under the guidance of a wonderful major professor, Dr. Catherine Coccia. This is my first abstract and I am honored to have it featured at FNCE this year! Nutrition education for children is vital to improve eating habits and to prevent childhood obesity, which has become a major issue worldwide. I am proud to contribute to this area of research and look forward to developing more studies in this field.”-Nikki

Yaisli Lorenzo

Yaisli’s abstract analyzed the association between household living conditions on BMI and dietary iron intake among adolescents in Mexico.

“In creating my poster, I wanted to show the audience the most important aspects of my research. It was essential for me to let the audience know why this topic is relevant.”-Yaisli

Alison Macchi

Alison’s abstract used the Transtheoretical Model of Stress and Coping to determine factors influencing BMI, dietary intake, and life satisfaction of food insecure college students.

“This abstract was exciting for me because it was the first to come from my own dissertation project! The issue of food insecurity, specifically on college campuses, is a new and growing topic and I am proud to be able to add this interesting and valuable information.”-Alison

Clara Rivera

Clara’s abstract assessed child’s report of food consumption in relation to school lunch intake.

“I’m so grateful to be a part of FNCE 2020! I was given the opportunity to work with two incredible dietitians Shante Jeune and Dr. Catherine Coccia to learn about the best parts of research, making connections and seeing the results of all the hard work and data put into the Family Meal Project with NICE Lab. Learning how to do the statistical analysis from Shante and put together a clear and concise idea into my abstract was honestly a blast! I am so honored that my first abstract was accepted to FNCE. It’s been surreal seeing my face and hearing myself on a platform open to so many professionals. It has definitely motivated me to look at research and all of the possibilities within it more!” -Clara